Shady Balcony

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by lily, Jul 6, 2007.

1. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

I'm on the 4th floor corner balcony facing south and west. I get shade all day long up until 3:30 in the afternoon. I just purchased 4 -6" pots of purple Astilbe. What other plants would look nice with the purple Astilbe? I'm also hoping to create some sort of privacy from adjacent neighbors balcony. I appreciate all your ideas. Thank you.
    Lily

2. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

How much space do you have to plant in? How tall a screen are you looking for?

Chasmathium latifolium (northern sea oats) is a nice ornamental grass that grows about 90cm tall and might provide enough screening if planted in a 90cm tall pot.

3. lily

Hi growing4it...
    First, thankyou for your reply. I have quite a large corner balcony so I'm container gardening. I have a couple of large ceramic pots to plant something in but I'm not sure what to plant. I would guess I would need about a 5' screen - something busy or full. As I mentioned in my earlier post. I get shade most of the day on the one side which faces south and the other side of my balcony faces west, it gets the direct sun around 3:00 in the pm. I don't know if you'd call this partial shade or part sun/part shade. I think I'll go and google the plant you mentioned...[GOOGLE]Chasmathium latifolium [/GOOGLE](northern sea oats) Does it flower? Sounds pretty. Thanks again for this idea.

4. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

A vine can create much privacy for you; any kind of support you organize will soon be completely govered in growth during the growing season when you can be outside using the balcony. Akebia quinata ( the chocolate vine) likes a shady position and can grow 20' in one year; in eary spring long before other plants are leafing out, this vine produces fragrant flowers in either white, pink or blue variation - both male and female flowers grow on the same vine, looking very different from each other. The papery leaves will come later, in an almost lime green colour, in themselves they are very decorative being shaped like an open hand; several times over the growing season you can trim the plant severely to give shape and in 3 weeks a young and fresh crop of leaves will be displayed on the plant giving a real lift to the overall appearance. If you allow part of this vine to drap it will be possible to buy inexpensive pots or wooden one which you will actually never see. In one pot you could grow a Hosta which will do the same thing; having these two plants will give you an abundance of folliage and then it is a matter of having one or two other pots for the display of flowers throughout the season. Good luck growing. You may looki into a knautia macedonia as a plant to grow in between other flowering plants; the long stemmed flowers will add some height and weight to the planting.

5. lily

Wow! it would have been perfect for me for the last 3 years that I've lived in this apartment. Last week I purchased a manufactured home which will be delivered in January ~ YIPPEEE! I can hardly wait. Then I'll be back here looking for help on what to plant around my new home. Who know's? Maybe the plant you described will be perfect for my new place too. Thanks very much for taking the time to tell me about this very interesting vine. See you in the spring!