Server Upgrade - Nov 2, 2009, 9AM-4PM PST

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi all,

The forums --and indeed the entire UBC Botanical Garden web site -- will be unavailable for part of the day on November 2, 2009.

Beginning at 9AM PST on November 2, we will be:

a) (assuming it arrives) upgrading the RAM on the web server -- should make for a bit quicker forums experience re: page load times

b) upgrading some of the server-side languages to newer versions. In theory, the people who program the forums software suggest that this will lead to faster forums -- I don't know if that's the case. We're primarily doing it because the next version of this forums software, vBulletin 4 is going to be released in the next few months and it requires the upgraded server-side languages.

If nothing breaks, the outage may be as short as an hour. However, since I have to test all of the garden web sites (see my signature), it may take longer.

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Will Forum members notice any changes to format, layout, etc. or will increased speed be the sole result?
    Thank you for the notification.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Nope, no changes to format, layout, function etc. with this.

There might be small changes when I have the chance to upgrade the forum software from 3.7.3 to 3.8.whatever (announcement pending).

There will certainly be changes when upgrading the forum software from 3.* to 4.0, whenever that bit of software is released.

4. w8in4dave

w8in4dave Member

Thank you for the warning.. Very much appreciated :D

5. Daniel Mosquin

Well, there were a few problems with one of the web sites we maintain (resolved, now, though), but it seems like the upgrade has gone well enough.

The RAM hasn't arrived yet, so that will be installed some evening this week -- forums downtime will be 10-15 minutes for that, so I'm not going to bother announcing / planning for that.

Anyway, the server-side languages are now upgraded to a newer version, so we're set for whenever the latest version of vBulletin rolls out in a few month's time.

Let me know if you run into any troubles / something is unexpectedly broken.