Sept Showers Beauty

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by C.Wick, Sep 26, 2008.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

All these mushrooms I've found in just the last 3 days since we got a refreshing rainshower on a cool morning. That day....mushrooms by the un-countable popped up everywhere.
    The white 'coral' are actually called 'Jellied False Coral'.
    The purple mushroom is a variety of 'Cortinarius'...the dark rust is the spore.
    The red capped is a type of 'Russula'.
    The orange mushroom groups under the tree are young 'Jack O Lanterns'. A type of mushroom that has gills that glow at night when they're fresh.
    The group of tan caps are a type of 'Mycena' that are growing prolifically on downed, rotting logs.
    The pink beauty is a type of coral mushroom...presumably 'Ramaria Formosa' or Pink Coral.
    And the last is called 'Sweet Tooth'.
    Hope you enjoyed these as much as I have.

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Wow! Atchison must be a veritable hotbed of fungus! Beautiful pictures---my compliments to the photographer.

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I actually almost every time find the mushrooms/fungi/lichen that I do in a square mile location called Jackson Park.....mostly along the foot trails but every now and then up in the uncharterd woods. People here in Atchison...or else-where...never realize just how MUCH there is all around them...even here in Kansas. Thanx for you're comment/compliment!