Selaginella 'Aurea' then and now

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by Barbara Cameron, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Barbara Cameron

Barbara Cameron Active Member

I was having a lot of trouble figuring out why my "clubmoss" was going brown last fall and winter. I went to Mandeville and got great advice. I'll show you a photo of then and now. This photo is the "then".

Attached Files:

2. Barbara Cameron

And this photo is the "now". Clubmoss (Selaginella 'Aurea') with a bit of Japanese Grass (Hakonechloa 'All Gold") hanging over it.

Attached Files:

3. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

Looks great! What were the tips they gave you?
    I've just bought some to supplement a small piece someone gave me last year and planted it around the base of my Heuchera 'Obsidian' to complement the txture odf the adjacent ferns.

4. Barbara Cameron

I was told by the person at Mandeville (Garden works) to mix some peat moss into my soil! That simple. She said that my soil was not bad at all to start with. The reason the brown stems were showing was the cold. She was surprised that the Clubmoss survived our brutal winter at all. If your are interested, I made a video of my entire 100 sq. ft. garden that replaced my mossy lawn. I've started to post it on some Canadian web sites that allow home videos (NOT YOUTUBE) The URL:

http://space.canoe.ca/Babbo/video/