British Columbia: Searching for a George Vancouver rose

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Mark Edmondson, May 7, 2017.

1. Mark Edmondson

Mark Edmondson New Member

We've been looking for a George Vancouver rose for about 2 years for our son's memorial garden to no avail, it seems they're tricky to come by.

Does anyone have any leads as to where we might find one?

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Welcome to the forums.
    A Google search brings up some suppliers and some do mail order. Maybe your retail nursery could order one in from a wholesaler ( Bylands from the interior lists it) if you can't find it locally.

3. Mark Edmondson

Mark Edmondson New Member

Thank you, I'd previously contacted quite a few of those suppliers and either they didn't have them any more or they weren't setup for mail order. Interestingly one of them did get back to me and also suggested Bylands so hopefully that'll work out!

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

If no luck there, contact the Vancouver Rose Society: Main Page for help--perhaps a member grows it.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  5. chimera

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Bylands in West Kelowna on Highway 97 is amazing - a long established nursery

It’d be worth a scenic drive up over the Duffy (your profile says Whistler) in May spring when the birds return to Okanagan VAlley and the remaining orchards are in blossom and the lilacs bloom etc

You just have to make sure the roads leaving Lillooet are open either toward Lytton or Cache Crk

Disclaimer - I don’t have any connection to Bylands other than being a prev happy customer

7. chimera

Do they sell retail there ?

8. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    As far as I know there is retail - I have not been in a while because I’ve planted enough shrubbery and we don’t have reliable water source summer months to spend on plants - insert sad face here -

Call the number to confirm - the retail might be seasonal given the climate there