Rusting Tree

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by Coquitlamite, May 31, 2009.

1. Coquitlamite

Coquitlamite Member

Hi. After reading several stories of puzzling Monkey Tree challenges, I too would like to add mine. Our 45+ foot high, approximately 30 - 40 yr. old tree was in perfect health . . . I mean outstanding. It's branches stood erect and all the foliage was full and green. Last fall the tree produced an extraordinarily large number of cones? pods?, and started to turn brown on its lower extremities. No worries I thought. We've seen this before and the tree bounced back. When I pruned 5 years ago (without any knowledge of how to correctly) the tree suffered a temporary setback. The entire effected branches turned brown and fell off. Now, however, several months after this profusion of cones we have a rusting tree with mottled brown foliage that is working its way up the tree quickly. Is this a rust? A cycle? A symptom of negelect and impending death? Is there anything I can do? I would love to save this tree seeing as it was one of our primary reasons for buying our house. Any advice would be appreciated?

Ian, the Coquitlamite

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can you post a photo?

3. Coquitlamite

Coquitlamite Member

Thanks for the response. I've attached 3 pictures of the sick Monkey tree. What is your diagnosis?

Thanks again,

Attached Files:

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I fear it looks like it is dead. It could be due the unusually cold winter BC had last winter, but perhaps more likely a root disease like Phytophthora.

5. Coquitlamite

Coquitlamite Member

Thanks for your concern and verdict. We certainly had an unusually cold and prolonged winter and I first believed this to be the culprit. Now I'm just sick at the thought of losing this magnificent tree. Take good care.