Ruby ball cactus looking thin and deflated

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Bree, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Bree

Bree New Member

I bought a cute little ruby ball cactus about two months ago and I noticed within the last week or so it looks thin and deflated. It also seems to be folding in on itself on one corner. The stem itself doesn't seem black or like it has root rot but it just simply looks deflated and is a little squishy. Unfortunately my apartment doesn't get much light and I'm wondering if I take it to my parents where it can be in better sun if it'll perk up or is it dying and a lost cause? I already lost my little bonsai earlier this month and don't want this one to meet the same fate :(

Attached Files:

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

To me the cactus looks over watered. Was there standing water in the outer pot often after watering? Have you watered frequently?

Cacti are desert plants, they will survive without watering for prolonged periods of time. In their natural environment they grow most often in sandy soils, what means good, quick drainage, no saturated medium at the roots level. I have one cactus, it lives in a tiny pot, much smaller than the plant itself, I water it every few weeks, sometimes I don't water it for a couple of months. I have it for many years, I can't even say how many, fifteen?, twenty? So much about watering.

As for if it is possible to rescue yours I can't give you any advice, sorry. Hopefully @mandarin, our expert on cacti, will chime in.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  3. Bree

Bree New Member

I generally only give it one little spritz from a spray bottle once every week or so(when I remember). Not enough to completely saturate the soil. I believe my Bonsia didn't make it due to me forgetting to water it which is why I opted for a plant that needed less watering. When I first brought this one home it was firm and plump but now it's deflated and squishy. I recently moved it next to the heating vent that's consistently pumping warm air out, and placed it in a spot where I feel it will get the most sun, but unfortunately like I mentioned in my original post, my apartment is in a weird spot where the sun is spotty and lasts a very short time. But I'm not sure if lack of sun is what's causing this or if it's something else.

4. Bree

Bree New Member

And the pot it is in has a drainage hole

5. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Pretty sure Sundrop is right. I have rescued many plants, and this one is looking moribund. The discoloration at the bottom is a sign of rot, and the roots are probably nonexistent at this point. These cute little grafted things are not intended for long term, although I suppose it's possible.

6. Bree

Bree New Member

Is there a way to save the little red succulent?

7. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The red cactus on top depends on the green cactus beneath for energy and nutrients. It can't survive by itself; the only way to save it is to graft it on another compatible green cactus. I have no idea how difficult that would be.

8. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

It looks as if it is rotting from the base. The bottom part is an epiphytic cactus, well known for its tendency to rot in cold climates, especially if watered in winter.
    Regrafting the scion (the red part) is difficult, for several reasons. Honestly, it is not worth it, unless you want to practice.

Sundrop likes this.
  9. Bree

Bree New Member

Yeah I kind of gave up on the little guy. Any reccomendations for plants/cactuses that are for beginners? Safe for cats too. I love having plants but I'm having a rough time not killing them.

10. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Schlumbergera, the Christmas, Thanksgiving or Easter cactus is easy and can put on quite a flower show in the winter. ASPCA reports it as nontoxic to cats. It's more tolerant of overwatering than other cactus. I try to always use clay pots for cactus and succulents and use a light gritty cactus soil that drains easily.