rotting garlic bulbs

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Richard Goold, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Richard Goold

Richard Goold New Member

rotting garlic bulbs - it seems to be "white rot " but it does not infect my onions.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Was this intended as a reply to another posting? It seems to lack context!

3. Richard Goold

Richard Goold New Member

I am sorry for the lack of detail. It seems to be a type of root rot infecting my garlic { Red Russian } . The nearest thing I can find on the internet is White Rot. Except that it doesnt seem to infect my onions. Of 200 cloves planted I harvested 75 . I have been contemplating digging in copper sulphate prior to planting. I am also concerned that the seed might carry the desease. I hope this clarifies my predicament somewhat . In the past I have always had 2 or 3 but never this much.

4. headfullofbees

headfullofbees New Member

Hello all.
    I'm a 56-y-o male Scot living in NW England.
    I have experienced root rot, to the extent that I built raised beds for my onions, which I have isolated from the ground by weed-resistant tarpaulin.
    Whilst it is the case that white rot will most definitely attack onions if in close enough proximity, that proximity has to be very close; 1cm, I believe, so you may just have been lucky with your onions, if it is white rot..
    White rot travels in two ways, transported by animals (usually humans on their clothing/tools etc.) and on the roots of garlic and Dutch onions (sets)/transplants.
    There are a number of ways to limit white rot, and I wouldn't dig in copper sulphate.
    Garlic powder, watered or raked into your onion bed, will give off the exudates that fool white rot sclerotia into thinking that there are roots available for infection:
    http://oregonstate.edu/dept/coarc/sites/default/files/publication/93_garlic_powder_sclerotium.pdf
    Grow in "clean" areas.
    Grow onions only from seed. (it's more work, but you'll get better onions with less bolting)
    Garlic grows very well in pots, but you probably grow too much to see it as viable.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  5. Richard Goold

Richard Goold New Member

Thanks for your reply. I am suprised that a Scot grows garlic ! My father was a Scott and he "wouldnt have the smelly stuff on the place ! " I would question why you advise against digging in copper sulphate. I had intended trying just that. Although the states to the south of us have had a huge problem with "white rot " and I am sure they will have tried it. I will probably buy new seed and change planting areas.