Rose Garden 'bed' thoughts?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Denim, May 13, 2018.

1. Denim

Denim New Member

Hi, im the proud new owner of an older property abundant with plants & tree's. I live on Prince Edward Island, on the East coast of Canada. I'm new to this, but hope this forum can be a great resource!

The pics attached show an L shaped rose garden. Note that the roses are planted in a bit of shaped ditch. I'm assuming it was built to catch the water runoff coming off a driveway. But??

My understanding is that roses should be planted raised, so as not to bury the root ball top.?
    Should i/ can i do anything with this? Or, just let it grow?

The property has been vacant for over 2 yrs. The grass & weeds & whatever else is in there with the rose bushes are well overgrown. Note the dead grass entangled in the close up. Can I /do i need to deal with this? How?

Thank You for any guidance, thoughts or suggestions...

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, if these are native roses, they should be fine. Hybrid roses, yes, sunnier and drier at the roots. Have you seen these in bloom yet?

Dealing with the weeds in the bed doesn't look like a fun job.

3. Denim

Denim New Member

I have not seen them before.
    Looking forward to my first summer with the property. I am told to expect tons of colorful surprises.

They appear aged & mature tho small.
    I’ll trim them & see what I’ve got.

It would appear there are other things planted in this ditch of a rose garden, but I won’t know for a month or three here in the East. Perhaps it will look good unkempt.

As for the dead grass. I’m resisting an urge to burn it. I’m assuming that would be frowned upon by rose lovers ?!

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No, that wouldn't be good for the roses (well, some prairie ones might be fire adapted, but I don't think these would be).

From what I've heard from others, the first year with a new (inherited) garden is where you let it do its thing, and then you start to make changes in the second year. You can always ask on here for help with identifying plants so you can make decisions for the following year as the months progress.

5. Denim

Denim New Member

That works perfectly. I don’t have to do anything!

I have literally dozens of varieties of trees & shrubs & flowers to discover. Many more roses. Bamboo....

And a pond to fill. I am eager to get at it all!
    Thank you for your help. I look forward to more.