Rose bed preparation - Help

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by ericpg, Aug 31, 2009.

1. ericpg

ericpg Member

Hi,
    We are going to plant around 20 roses and I need to prepare the rose bed. The staff at a GardenWorks in North Burnaby told me I could use their Garden Soil and Mushroom Manure that they sell as bulk soil at a 1:1 ratio and add Bone Meal. They didn't tell me how much Bone Meal to put in and whether or not I should mix it all together or put it in layers.
    I don't know when to prepare it either, maybe around 2-3 weeks before I plant the roses? Also, how soon can I plant the roses after I finish preparing the bed? Do I need to add any specific type of mulch after planting or before planting?
    Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Eric

2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

You can use as a mix, or I would

If we buy roses after autumn we are told by the supplier to plant when weather permits. I guess thats at the moment.

I think you can plant anytime before the frosts arrive.

For the mulch we use bark.

Bonemeal can be added after planting out. Just grab a handful and scatter. No need to over do it as the growing season will soon be over and the sap will go down again untill next season.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Rose gardening is loaded with fussy operations and disproven practices, starting with the beloved amending of individual planting holes.

Pick a spot with good drainage and light exposure, plant in existing soil digging wide shallow holes. Most roses bought as full nursery size specimens (rather than small cuttings in bands etc.) were grown in an open field by the supplier, in field soil. Why do these suddenly require special fluffy beds full of organic matter and chemical additives when purchased by the final consumer?

Many places are marked as former habitations by the rose bushes that are still there, sometimes a hundred years later. A foundation or chimney may be all that is left of the building, but the roses are still intact.

Related discussion may be found here.

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda chalker-scott/Horticultural Myths_files/index.html

4. ericpg

ericpg Member

Thank you for the help. We will dig one foot under the soil, loosening it. After I do this, should I throw away the soil or should I mix it in with the Mushroom Manure and the Garden Soil?

5. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

You can whizz it, better still compost it but why throw good soil?

No, I would simply enrich it with some medium from your local garden center.

You can use Peat and its good for the soil as it loosns compaction helps it breathe. I like Wessex compost but can't get it every where. Manure, (well rotted) is another you can add, besides bark.

Aim for a rich, loamy, well-drained garden soil by the time your ready to plant. After planting roses do not like standing in water so make sure the garden is well draining.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

DO NOT plant in liberally amended small holes or small beds - or use bone meal.

See links at page linked to above.