Rhododendrons: Rhododendrons

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by lily, May 26, 2008.

1. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

Just looking at my new rhodies that I planted. Is it normal for the blooms to fade already? I just planted them a month ago. I read that I'm suppose to pick off the blooms after they fade, but I don't know where to break them off. Is that it for the summer? No more blooms for the rest of the summer? Can anyone please help me with this?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes: These only flower for a short time. Some early-blooming kinds open part of their crop of flower buds prematurely in fall so with those some years you get a display twice per year. Most like some shade (and all like a cool moist soil) and will have the flowers deteriorate rapidly in full sun if warm weather occurs at flowering time (early-blooming kinds tend to last much longer - if not damaged by frost).

Other broadleaf evergreens liking the same site conditions can be combined with rhododendrons to increase interest with differing leaf shapes and textures as well as to get flowers of different shapes at the same time - and flowers at other times. Deciduous trees and shrubs can be included for contrast and attributes not prominent among hardy broadleaf evergreens such as conspicuous fall leaf color and winter stem color.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved to the rhododendron forum)

4. lily

Thanks Ron for your very helpful information on rhodendrons. Okay, I want to remove the faded blooms but I'm not sure how to do this properly or where to make my cut?

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

6. lily

Hi Liz, thanks for your help again. Okay, now I know where to remove the trusses. Much appreciated.