Rhododendron yakushimanum

Discussion in 'Plants: Nomenclature and Taxonomy' started by mdse12, May 8, 2010.

1. mdse12

mdse12 Member

I would like to have some expert advice as to the correct name for Rhododendron yakushimanum. I was looking at hirsutum.info to see the photos posted there and the website redirects you to look at R. degronianum ssp. yakushimanum. Is this correct? If so, when was the species renamed? If anyone can tell me why, I would really appreciate knowing that too.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Rhododendron hirsutum Linnaeus is a different species from R. yakushimanum subsp. yakushimanum. The latter name for the plant you are mainly concerned with is from Cullen, Hardy Rhododendron Species - A Guide to Identification (2005, Timber Press, Portland). Placements of it under RR. degronianum and metternichii are older, apparently now discarded.

3. mdse12

mdse12 Member

Hello Ron,
    I'm still not entirely clear on this. When I went to the new Hirsutum website to look at the photos posted there, that was where I first encountered this information. I have since checked out Oregon State University's website and on it this is what they have to say: ". Rhododendron yakushimanum is now more commonly classified as a subspecies of Rhododendron degronianum, that is R. degronianum ssp. yakushimanum; other subspecies are R. d. ssp. degronianum and R. d. ssp. heptamerum." I need to have more clarification as I'm just confused now.