Rhododendron 'Cunningham's White' I

Discussion in 'Flower Mandalas Project' started by dbookbinder, Jun 24, 2005.

1. dbookbinder

dbookbinder Active Member 10 Years

Suggestions for a complementary quote, a word that these mandala images evoke, or some history or other information about the flower itself are most welcome, as are corrections to my flower identification if I've got it wrong and any other comments you'd care to make.

I'd also appreciate identification of the specific cultivar, if applicable.

Thanks,
    - David
    © 2005, David J. Bookbinder

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

"Floating Depth"

3. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

Well, looks like six aliens having lunch (I and hungry after a day in the year). Well, you seem to like controversy -- still remember R. Ponticum Roseum. Cunningham's white first apeared around 1830 in Comely Bank Nurseries, Edinburgh scotland, and held to be a cross between R. ponticum and R. caucasicum. The controversity arises with a hybridniser named Cunningham of which there is no relation to Cuningham's white. Bloom time is a controversity: Cunninghams white is said to bloom in the fall ... said in some cold places early spring ... and I've seen mine bloom both spring and again in fall. I may have even seen to bloom three times, a bit baffling there. Anyway it is listed in ARS lookup as late midseason.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Once fourd pointd that out about the aliens, I couldn't help but see it (although I think they look like bulls with horns). Very eerie, actually.