Identification: Regular houseplant, please ID

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Unregistered, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Hello,

could you help me ID this plant. I have seen it around quite a bit as a houseplant. An initial guess was that it is a bromiliad.

http://ca.geocities.com/itsagoodworld/normalplant.html

It would be great to be able to search for more details about its life and propagation on the internet, but I don't have its name. Thus an identification would be greatly appreciated.

Tilman

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

perhaps Dracaena warneki ? not sure on the second part of the name spelling, its been a while since I worked with tropicals.

3. Thanks for the name. Spelling is warneckii (checked on Google). I'm not sure if it's that one, though, because my plant doesn't have variegated foliage at all.

4. vonboh

vonboh Member

It could be Dracaena "Janet Craig" compacta

5. Carol Noel

Carol Noel Member

On the East side of the Big Island of Hawaii...nea

I go along with the Dracaena "Janet Craig" compacta. It is a veeeeery slow grower. Here in Hawaii we get close to 150" of rain annually and they love it!!! Fast draining soil and lots of water is what I would give it as a house plant and some spritzes with a mister or a plate of rocks with water for some humidity. It is not a succulent.

6. Excellent. That seems to be the one, judging from other pictures I have found under that name. Thanks for the help.