Red Trillium

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by Pattron, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Pattron

Pattron Member

red trilliums.jpg Had to show you my picture of a Red Trillium, that grew about 30 ft. from my front door. You can tell by my gloved hand how tall it was(3ft). Just beautiful to look at!!!
    Pat Reid (Ontario)

2. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

wow, I've never seen a red trillium before.. that's beautiful!

3. Pattron

Pattron Member

my gardens 008.jpg
    As you know, Trillium is Ontario's Prov. flower. We are surrounded by thousands of white ones, but on our property, only red ones grow. I had to transplant some out of the lawn, to save them.

4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I lived in Ontario for years, I only ever saw white trilliums. Its really beautiful.
    Carol Ja

5. Pattron

Pattron Member

We use to live down near Long Point and there were Black Trilliums.......I wonder now if they were just so dark red, that they black. Does anybody know the answer to this one?

6. mygarden

mygarden Member

It is just beautiful. I saw red and white ones around Orilia once. I love them and planning to grow them in my garden. My backyard is very shady wooded lot. Where can I get seeds?

7. oscar

oscar Active Member

hi mygarden,
    buy in flower, seed raised plants can take 5 or more years to flower.

8. Pattron

Pattron Member

To My Garden:
    If you can find someone with Trilliums, ask if you can dig up a few. Trilliums love shade, but I was able to save some from the lawn and move them into my gardens(last year). This year they came back up great. After digging up, plant right away.

9. Dody J

Dody J Member

I have great success with the native trillium, but my red ones don't do well. One has come up again this year but it is very small, and the other one never reappeared. We do have some moles in the area, and I wonder if they might be eating the roots. Yours is great, and it is nice to see what it looks like. Dody J

10. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

The following species of Trillium are native to Ottawa (Source: Case and Case (1997) Trilliums):
    T. erectum (Ill-scent Trillium) – var. erectum is typical red variety, which is featured above; var. album is white and occasionally seen.
    T. cernuum (Nodding Trillium) - white
    T. grandiflorum (Large-flower Trillium) - white
    T. undulatum (Painted Trillium) – var. undulatum is typical white variety with inverted V-shaped red mark radiating outward on the petal; var. enotatum is white, but lacks red V.
    Photographs available at:
    http://www.mcelroy.ca/flora/checkList.shtml;
    http://fp.trilliums.plus.com/Trillium%20Photographs.htm.

11. Mike Montalvo

Mike Montalvo Member

Very nice I have never seen Red either, I do have a picture of a white one. I live in Ottawa and my in laws have a cottage in Otter Lake Quebec. There seems to be many of them in the area, but all white :o)

Here is mine

Mike

Attached Files:

12. Patsy

Patsy Member

The picture of your red trillium is just beautiful! I have a small group of yellow trillium ( the flower is quite a bit different) in my front border (north side of house) that I purchased a few years ago from a nursery. They are developing very slowly, but then again, they are not in their natural, woody environment. I would re-plant it in my back yard (a bit more shade; however, the ground is very dry under my big oak trees. At least they get plenty of water where they are and are shaded somewhat by the larger hosta in the border. They do tend to die back during the heat of the summer, but show up again the following spring.

Patsy

13. unther

unther Active Member

Yes, I believe this is indeed the case. The concentration of anthocyanins (the pigment responsible for the color red in Trillium and many other plants) can vary considerably both between populations of a species as well as from one species to another and can be quite dramatic in hybrids between members of the T. erectum complex. For more information on Trillium, I recommend the following:

_Trillium_ by Fred Case, considered by Trillium enthusiasts to be the definitive work on the genus.

the Trillium-L e-mail list. For more information on this list, go to
    https://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/trillium-l.html

-Nathan Miller
    Newberg, OR