red ants swarming on golden elder

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by janepots, Jul 3, 2011.

1. janepots

janepots Active Member

I just noticed several large (2-3 inches long) 'clumps' of red headed ants on the stems of my golden elder.
    I didn't notice any aphids previously, so I am wondering if the ants are eating the plant? This tree is in the wrong place..too much shade..so maybe it is stressed and vulnerable to pests?
    Thanks
    Jane on Vancouver Island.

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

My bet is that there are some aphids way up there hiding. If the ants are a nuisance you can wrap cellophane around the trunk and put "tanglefoot" all around it. I usually put two strips, one above the other. That will slow the ants down and if there are aphids, the beneficials can get at them.

Don't leave the cellophane on for weeks and weeks though. The bark gets all sweaty and spungy underneath.

The other thing is to purchase a midge call "Aphidaletes" species. It can get past the ants and lays its eggs in the aphids. When they hatch the midges overwinter in the soil under the tree and you have a larger brood of good bugs in your tree the next year.

Unlike lady bugs, these midges stay where you put them. You only need about ten released on each tree. ($35 for a thousand)

They are dormant when you get them and need to be incubated above the fridge for a few days.

Look for a beneficial insect supplier in your area or check at the garden centers. Don't let them sell you lady bugs. They fly away!