Raspberry Plants

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Maylo, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Maylo

Maylo New Member

Hey All,

I'm new to the forum, and am hoping to get some help. But first a little background info...

I currently live in Denmark, but I am Canadian (BC born). As far as I can tell the climate and growing zone here in Denmark is quite similar to that of the west coast (zone 8), which is why I've chosen this forum :)
    I'm gearing up to start "attacking" my garden/yard for the season, and plan on moving some poorly placed raspberry plants. To optimize their available sunshine I'll be planting them in rows from east to west (approximately). My question is, what is a good distance between the rows? I do not plan to stake/trellis them, they will stand and grow on their own.

Thank you in advance for all advice!

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

I have a small patch at the end of my garden which are Fall producing and supply about 15 pounds of berries from September to October. They are in an area about 4 feet by 8 feet and the plants are positioned helter skelter. They are prodigious spreaders. Unless you plan on production it probably doesn't matter much how they are planted. All you need is access. Here is info on how to pruned. They do need a bit or support usually a surrounding wire.

17 October 2012 Pruning Raspberries. 17 October 2012 Pruning Raspberries.
    Raspberries are finished producing for the 2012 year. The vegetation is cut to ground level. New vigorous growth begins in he Spring of 2013 and the plants bear fruit starting in September until frost. The vegetation was put through the chipper/shreder and added to the compost pile.

Pruning raspberries
    “Summer-fruiting raspberries fruit on one-year-old canes that are cut out after harvest and then replaced by the young canes.
    Autumn-fruiting varieties are cut to the ground in late winter to make way for new canes that will grow from the base and fruit the same year.”

17%20october%202012%20pruning%20raspberries%20007_std.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2018