Rhododendrons: R. floccigerum - defoliates

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by Charles Richard, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

I have a R. floccigerum that looses about 75% or more of it's leaves every year. I have had it for atleast 10 years. The leaves are not being eaten by insect or animal, they fall off at the end of the season. New leaves are produced every year and they look healthy and remain on the plant throughout the summer and start shedding off.
    I have moved the rhodo, to see if a new location, with different light and watering would make any difference. It has never flowered, which does not concern me, just wondering if anyone has more information on this species of rhodo and might be able to let me know whether this is typical for this rhodo or should I try and site it in a different location? Any information would be very much appreciated.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd check for foliage mildew and root rot.

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Some only hold their older leaves for a year or two, but wouldn't think it should lose last years new leaves. Said to bloom at a young age, maybe more sun would help set flower buds if none produced this summer.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Look for blotchiness, if you are not spraying for mildew and spraying effectively it is probably pretty likely to have it. I see it everywhere here, with susceptibility between kinds of rhododendrons varying from able to continue living on looking superficially almost as though uninfested to defoliated and killed within several years.