British Columbia: Question for Daniel M - why is it important to study / id the exact wildflowers etc

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by Georgia Strait, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hello Daniel M - I don't mean to sound offhand about this - I am curious because I read many of the questions here - why is it important to know the exact plant - for example - there is a question about lupin recently - so I have seen Lupin cultivated (we all grew up with a grandparent with lupin in the garden) plus in the Arctic Hudson Bay, in Denali AK, in Alberta, in the desert Arizona-Mexico - in the alpine Rockies (Edith Cavell), Manning Park (along the highway, Winthrop North Cascades etc. I suppose it is someone's provincial flower - and for sure Lady Bird Johnson Texas icon (I have never seen those in person tho I would like to see a wide swath of Texas Bluebonnets)

Penstemon is another far ranging species, correct? So the same would apply. I've seen it in various areas of North America.

How does the research matter? Again I am not intending to be off-hand. We enjoy nature and are careful on our rural property about many flora and fauna. (Okanagan BC)

How does the botanical garden at UBC contribute to wildflower / wild flora - is it for preservation or for reports that consultants make prior to a development (I am not being flippant in asking - as we know some biologists who do make a living or part thereof making reports as required by gov't prior to development)

Thank you

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: Question for Daniel M - why is it important to study / id the exact wildflowers e

There are many different species of lupins, and of penstemons - the ones you've seen in Arctic Hudson Bay, in Denali AK, in Alberta, in the desert Arizona-Mexico, etc., are different ones in each case; each different one is adapted to the different climates and soils of those places. This makes it interesting, and perhaps also important, to see exactly which ones are growing in each separate case, both for scientific curiosity, and so as to know which species are likely to be successful where. Hope that helps a bit!

"Wisdom begins with putting the right name on a thing"
    (Old Chinese Proverb)

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Re: Question for Daniel M - why is it important to study / id the exact wildflowers e

hello Michael - are there lupins in the UK?

I think out here we all know about the spring flowers you have in the UK - however those might be "naturalized" (like the large swaths of snowdrops at a heritage property for example)

we know about Heather - of course - and what else is "native"

hawthorn, oaks,
    what smaller plants?

i shall have to refer to my grandmother's vintage Beatrix Potter and "Flower Fairies" books that I am lucky to enjoy now! That's vintage countryside days isn't it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015