Question about dirt in Coquitlam

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Julie Rogers, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Julie Rogers

Julie Rogers Member

I live in Westwood Plateau in Coquitlam and recently had my home inspected (selling it) and the inspector claims the house was built on red clay because he saw red dirt/water in the sump. This is from oxidized iron and not red clay. There is no red clay in Coquitlam. Westwood plateau is sand and gravel.

Does anyone know how I can prove it? Is there any research that was ever done on this area? Any reports I can access? I will have the soil tested but that can take time and I am trying to salvage this sale. Is there any easy way to test the soil myself?

Thank you

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Westwood Plateau and the Coquitlam River area have historically been gravel pits. The whole place is sitting on a granite rock. I think the only way there would be clay, is if the builder brought in fill.

Also, I don't know of any "Red" clay in the lower mainland. It seems to be grey...kind of granite coloured you know?

Did you call James Dobney to do the home inspection? He's in PoCo.

3. Julie Rogers

Julie Rogers Member

Thanks for backing me up. I thought I was losing my mind! The buyers hired the inspector. A guy named Pierre Lacombe. It seems bizarre to me that he would think there is red clay in Coquitlam - never mind on a mountain! I did some research and it is most commonly found in Arizona and the bottom of the ocean.

There are 3000 homes on Westwood Plateau for nearly 20 years with no foundation issues due to clay.

Any thoughts on how I can prove its not clay?

4. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Coquitlam City Engineering? Aren't home inspectors supposed to be certified now?

5. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

If the buyer suspects there are issues with drainage (usual thing with residential inspectors & clay soils - with reason): 1. Tell them to go talk to the neighbours. 2. Go to City Hall - Engineering knows more about the drainage conditions than anyone else - they have to deal with it! 3. If the buyers use this as an excuse to NOT purchase your property, they were going find some excuse to back out anyway. 4. If their inspector is a member of a professional organization, write a letter of complaint - as long as you are prepared to document the error.

...Just some suggestions.