putting blended fruit on garden

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by untiedknot, Apr 25, 2009.

1. untiedknot

untiedknot Member

I just started my first outdoor garden. My roommate has a juicing machine and is constantly juicing fruits and veggies like carrots, pineapples, oranges, apples. She has a lot of leftover chewed up matter that I was thinking would be good to spread over my garden. I am a little concerned that the mix of these will be too acidic for my garden. I'm growing green onions, spinach, okra, arugula. Any thoughts?

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

If you're moderate with what you put in there, the acidity won't be an issue. However, if you have EVER seen a skunk or raccoon in your area, don't do it. It ends up being an invitation for them to come and tear up your beds. If you've got the possibility of critters, I'd suggest getting a black compost barrel, the kind that rotates, and putting the pulp and peelings in there to decompose. Then, once it's soil, there's no problem using it.

3. untiedknot

untiedknot Member

cool ill try it

4. adly

adly Member

only left over containing high carbohydrate generate heat. those high fiber stuff - no heating. dig the soil and dump the left over n covered.