Purple leaves, drooping flowers

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by wcutler, May 12, 2018.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This seems familiar-looking, like something I might have posted one year with a name, but now I have no idea. It's in the Asian garden, I think near the pond and some rodgersias. Single stems (?) about a meter high, reddish-purple (square?) stems, opposite leaves with parallel veins, drooping flower heads from leaf axils.
    PurpleLeaves-DroopingFlowers_UBCBG_Cutler_20180510_P1350379.JPG PurpleLeaves-DroopingFlowers_UBCBG_Cutler_20180510_P1350386.JPG PurpleLeaves-DroopingFlowers_UBCBG_Cutler_20180510_P1350388.JPG PurpleLeaves-DroopingFlowers_UBCBG_Cutler_20180510_P1350390.JPG

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

How about Disporum cantoniense 'Night Heron' - Chinese Fairy Bells, a name I came across quite by accident? I had a tag for Prosartes from the Woodland garden, didn't know what plant that went with so looked it up. Disporum was the name I got when I looked up the botanical name for a common name I got when I translated a Japanese name on a photo from the Prosartes search. Then I found that some Prosartes used to be named Disporum, so I looked that up, then found this name. There was a BPotD submission with a nice photo of this cultivar:
    Disporum cantoniense ' Night Heron'

This was not near the pond, as I said in the first posting - I think it was along Lower Asian Way, after two nice Dryopteris wallichiana.

I see that last year I guessed the ID of another Disporum, posted it for confirmation, but there were no replies:
    Disporum longistylum?

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Daniel Mosquin likes this.