Pseudotsuga menziesii subsp. glauca

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers) Photo Gallery' started by wcutler, May 1, 2014.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm pretty sure that this is Pseudotsuga menziesii var. glauca, which I don't see posted here. It's in Queen Elizabeth Park, west of the 37th Avenue entrance, planted with five or six conifers of various types. P. menziesii var. glauca, has been written up in Botany Photo of the Day.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Pseudotsuga menziesii var. glauca

One of the grafted named cultivars with extreme leaf color.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Although traditionally treated as a variety in much of the literature, it is better classified as a subspecies (or perhaps even a distinct species) as they are geographically seperate and the differences from the type (Coastal Douglas-fir) are substantial in morphology (numerous distinguishing characters) and biochemistry, and matched by a deep genetic divide. See e.g. definitions in Table 12.1 in Stuessy (2009), Principles of Plant Taxonomy (p. 158, available on google books).

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Thread now has part calling it var. glauca and part calling it subsp. glauca.

5. wcutler

That's my fault - I wrote the title before I found the POTD posting, so I used the name from that in the text, forgot to look at the subject line again. I must have known Michael was going to make that comment.

6. wcutler

That tree came from the Specimen Trees nursery labelled "Pseudotsuga menziesii ssp. glauca", no cultivar name given, so no more info there.