Pseudolithos migiurtinus propagation?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Kada, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

I read, and am told, that cuttings basically impossible and seeds are the only way....anyone here know if there is any other means? is this specie possible to graft to anything outside of the Pseudolithos genus?\

this site shows what they say is a hybrid. so could it be possible if they can inter breed they can graft? Caralluma hexagona x Pseudolithos migiurtinus
    http://www.cactus-mall.com/stapeliad/pictured.html

any help would be great :)

heres one of my little guys, these are really growing on me :)

[​IMG]

also see here:
    http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/PS...thos_migiurtinus/Pseudolithos_migiurtinus.htm

2. Cactus Jack

Cactus Jack Active Member

Wow! Talk about a living stone!

Actually, it looks more like an alien egg from one of those 1950's sci-fi B movies! And that hybrid looks like the alien!

I really don't see what you'd graft from. Cutting anything away would damage the plant. I can only assume the hybrid was done through cross-pollination, although I didn't think that was possible between species.

3. Kada

hyrbids would most certainly be from breeding, but i am wondering if they can hybridize perhaps they are similar enough to graft as well? just thinking out loud...i am trying to pollinate some but coming up empty handed. and i have no flies around where they grow...

4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Hey Kada, have you tried seperating them when they get bigger? I realise they are slow growers, but it might be worth a shot!

Ed

5. Kada

i have not tried no, i have read that this will lead to rot and death...some sites seem pretty sure that taking cuttings will lead to rot....honestly i am too scared of trying this as my plants that have "pups" are pretty old and i don't want to loose them.

:)

6. chilipepper

chilipepper Active Member

grafting can make the plant more strong and sturdy