pruning Douglas fir

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Beth Bell, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Beth Bell

Beth Bell Member

We have several very large firs on our property on Saturna Island that are near where we are about to build our house. There are several dead branches, and we would like to have someone come over and climb up the trees and take them down (so as to prevent them falling on our new house). We have been told by some that pruning these trees ("taking the sail out") is good for them, and wonder if we should have this pruning done at the same time as we have the dead branches removed.

It has also been suggested that we should have an arborist take a core sample of the trees to make sure they aren't ill and about to fall down.

Would appreciate opinions on these issues (especially from Mr. Justice, if he happens to be reading this).

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

As for pruning out dead wood, you can do it any time. As for wind sail reduction, it can be a good idea in areas prone to heavy winds and trees prone to windthrow. It can end up not so pretty if done too heavy handedly. To have a "core sample" done, an arborist would use something called a resistograph or an increment borer, the resistograph makes a much smaller hole and gives you a graph printed readout of the decayed wood vs the sound wood. Should you do this? well do the trees show any sign of decline, decay, reduced vigour, disease or other symptoms? Has there been any changes in the land recently? Any development, driveways, homes built, airports constructed? Malls erected? :) if not, there may not be much reason to worry. If you want your trees evaluated finding a certified arborist is a good idea, they should be able to come out to evaluate your trees and decide then if there is need for a resistograph test or not. If you can get a company that has a certified arborist that is also on the trimming crew you may be able to get both tasks accomplished at the same time. I dont know anyone on the gulf islands personally that is in the tree trimming business or that is certified but, I do know a few here on the mainland and they are sure to travel although I am also sure it will cost you dearly. Go to http://www.isa-arbor.com and you can search for an arborist based on location. If you would like the name of the company I use over here to do big tree work, send me a private message na dI can give you their contact info. (unless this is a bad thing to do here Daniel, just let me know and I will retract the offer)