propagating the ponytail palm

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by stag, May 7, 2007.

1. stag

stag Member

Having completely messed up things by leaving a wonderful 3' tall Ponytail Palm out too long in the South Carolina winter, I brought it indoors too late and lost all the leaves. The following spring (this spring, actually), I purchased a new Ponytail and was ready to toss the old remains out to reuse the pot. On closer look I found small shoots emering from the "bowl" of the plant. These are now about 2" long and number about 8, (see attached picture). How do I propagate these shoots?

Attached Files:

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

What you have there are new stems starting to grow. A multiple-stem Beaucarnea recurvata (ponytail palm) is HIGHLY desireable amongst collectors, as most simply do not branch until several years old or have had their tops cut to produce such a specimen. What you can do is trim off the damaged top growth. Seal it with some candle wax, if you like, then keep this wonderful plant.

Beaucarnea recurvata propogate by seed (rare) or by offsets (more common).

I think you gave yourself a lesson in just how tough this plant is. Leave the new stems alone and let this plant grow into a fantastic specimen plant. Your mistake has left a few of us green with envy. Post a picture later on this summer when the new growth has filled out a bit.

Check out the "Caudiciform and Succulent Culture Guide" thread in this forum. We have posted a few culture guides from various nurseries.