British Columbia: Propagating Agapanthus seeds

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by vicarious1, Aug 16, 2018.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hello it took me three years to grow agapanthus from one plant one flowerd three years ago to now six flowers. All in one clay pot spending winter in a non heated greenhouse facing South ( half day shadow) behind a big tree North Burnaby. I now collected all the seeds before the bird eat all of them like last year's (or some rident).
    How to proceed now. I just put all the seeds in a glass facing South indoors.

I also have a frilly Holyhock and as frilly that grew probably from a seed brought by a bird. That is very pretty as well as a frilly poppy.
    How do I propagate them from seed both have pods now.
    What I especially want to know is do I put the seeds now into the ground or only in spring ?
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I am not so sure the agapanthus pods are ripe enough. I think they are usually left on the plant until brown and about to spit open. If they don't work, I guess you have to try netting or caging the fruit. Poppies can be planted in early spring or fall. How they do depends on the weather. Since they make such an abundance of seed, you might just plant some of them in the fall and keep the rest for spring. I have not had luck propagating my hollyhock, so I won't advise--although if a bird can do it maybe it's not hard to grow.

3. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Thanks very mich Eric..Last year I left the seeds and then the were gone:-). Do you know what happens to the seed pod while still on the plant? Do they still take nutrition through the stem or they just dry out. Oh well wish me luck. Well I'll take a chance and let you know.

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    HOLLYHOCK - i notice that in various spots around the South Okanagan where people have dumped garden waste - the hollyhocks volunteer - in various colors too (not reverting to some original color). they seem to like sunny, well-drained, spots on the side of the rural roads (ditches, along the rail-trails, etc) -- so I suppose they have winter snow for moisture that melts by early April - then hot and dry (tho most rain in June month) - then very dry with rain coming back by mid-October - and then cold and possible snow mainly after Christmas.

(the other garden trimming volunteer one often sees is Iris - the real nobbly ones - are they Dutch Iris? Usually purple or yellow - like the dry difficult Okanagan soil it seems.)