Propagating a willow tree

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Bluewing, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I have a large willow in the backyard and wondered if it's true that you can cut a 3' long whip/single branch and bury it halfway down in moist soil and it will root and grow a tree. Is this true? Is there a better way?
    I also heard that when a cutting has rooted, it would grow fast looking like a smaller version of a full sized tree in just 4 years?

If I ever move in future, i'd like to take a few cuttings of the willow with me and try rooting them.

Thanks!

2. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

I've rooted several willow cuttings in water and then planted them. I've never tried just sticking them in the ground but I don't see why that wouldn't work. I have 2 Golden Willows and a Twisted Willow, I got the cuttings from my sister. I don't know about the growth rate but I do know that my Twisted Willow started out a 2 foot branch about 2 1/2 years ago and is now a 6 foot tree. I had it planted in a bucket for two years and just planted it out in the yard this spring. It's still a little gangly but I'm sure it will fill out in time now that it's roots aren't confined in a bucket.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, true, though pushing it for 3/4 of its length into the soil will give a better plant with stronger rooting.

Planting direct into the soil where you want it to grow is better than rooting first in a jar of water; the latter inevitably results in disturbance to the new roots and potentially a less strong root system.

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Willows are among the easiest of trees to propagate. Willows can be started from seed, layers, and rooted cuttings, but because they grow extremely easily from both hardwood and softwood cuttings, that method is usually employed. - Millet

Marjie likes this.
  5. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Thank you Wild-rose, Michael and Millet!

If I had a few cuttings in water, it would probably only be in water just long enough to transport, then id plant them.
    It's good to know these trees are so easily propagated, only wish ALL trees were this easy!

Thanks again!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  6. butterfly1963

butterfly1963 Member

Hi all,
    I got a branch from a willow tree on the side of the road. When I got home (having 4 children) things got hectic and I didn't have time to properly tend it. I threw it into the goldfish pond.
    It sprouted all along the branch both roots and new little ?branches?.
    It was simply amazing.
    But down here you see them fall over into the water and start growing new trees all the time.
    I figured the pond would be the safest place for it til I could tend it, which turned out to be after it took a life of it's own..