Problem with Cassia Fistula

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by shaiqbashir, Aug 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. shaiqbashir

shaiqbashir New Member

hi

We recently shifted our house and i transplanted my well growing Cassia Fistula from my old house to new. After transplantation it shed off all its leaves. Then after some days new leaves started appearing but they are very small about 1/3rd of the actual size of leaves. Please see attached photos. I have waited for more than a month but leaf size is not increasing. What can be the possible problem with this tree?

Regards

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Transplanted in the heat? It may take a while for it to re-establish, it likely has to regrow its little rootlets.

3. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

When was it pruned? I see the top of it was cut off at some point. Plants in this family, Fabaceae, will tolerate pruning fairly well. Even though Qatar may not have four seasons, you're probably still subject to seasonal drought, additional heat, and perhaps longer day length? Or maybe it's not so noticeable. Anyhow, summer is a time of year when most of the readers here wouldn't transplant a tree because of the stress on the plant.

The fact that you are getting leaves at all is a good sign, but you mustn't get your hopes up just yet. It probably would have been best to prune it heavily once it was transplanted to reduce the drain on the roots. Since that didn't happen, make sure it gets some water and wait for a few more months to see if it makes it.

4. shaiqbashir

shaiqbashir New Member

Hello

Thanks a lot for your response. Actually we had no option other than to transplant as we had to shift to a new locatiom. Yes this tree was transplanted in extreme summer conditions but it was not pruned. So as you said that i will wait for a few cooler months to see if it improves further.

Regards