Privacy planting

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Whitehorse43, May 9, 2009.

1. Whitehorse43

Whitehorse43 Member

My backyard is against a semi-busy road, and there is quite a bit of foot traffic. I have a fence, spanning about 30 feet. I do not want large hedges back there, but something that would offer a barrier between us and the traffic would be nice. I'm in zone 6-7, so lots of options, but I am new to gardening here and would like some suggestions of plants that would not be terribly wide. Maintenance is not an issue, as I spend all my extra time playing in the garden.

thanks for any suggestions.

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Clumping bamboo ...Sinarundinaria murielae up to 4.5 m. tall(dozens to choose from), and mixed with timber bamboos but these are very slow to start and spread after well established.. (Phyllostachys bambusoides up to 10m. tall or more.... expensive and messy to clean up, but most spectacular... sounds amazing in the winds...

3. Whitehorse43

Whitehorse43 Member

I read that the bamboo gets out of control, and it sounded more like an issue with the roots. As I am not familiar with growing outdoor bamboo, do you know more about this? It does sound like a great solution.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

bamboo that is the clumping type shouldn't be an issue. it's the types that spread runners that get out of control.

what kind of fencing is it?

if it's chainlink, you could plant a few different types of clematis and let it grow up/into the links. you could still do clematis with a privacy fence - you'd just need to provide support - either put in trellises or put nails into the fence (something that won't rust) and then string clear fishing line around them for a support network.

you could also do roses. either bushes or rambler types. i have ramblers and i trailed them over the top of the picket fence...the canes are over 30 feet long and with so much of it laying horizontally, i've got tons of flowering side-shoots - hundreds of blooms.

other things are lilac or butterfly bush - neither require too much maintenance.

5. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Clumping Bamboo is available from private Nurseries, and usually not the Big Box Stores...

There may be a Bamboo Club in Victoria too!

There are many to choose from.... your homework is now before you... good luck!