Princeton Golden maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Carriea, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Carriea

Carriea New Member

I planted my golden maple 2 years ago - about 10 ft tall. I put fertilizer in hole before I planted it. I live in a 5 a-b zone, alkaline soil. Last year it was beautiful. But this spring (not sure if due to harsh winter or early buds freezing) but there is leaves only on one branch of the tree. I applied a high nitrogen fertilizer. The tree branches all still have sap in them, not dead. This is mid august. It is planted in a sunny location. Should I move it this fall?

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hello, sorry your 'Prigo' (TM name Princeton Gold) is poorly, it is a beautiful maple. They do tend to be a bit tetchier than most varieties of Norway maple.

Prigo deals well with alkaline soil and full sun, so I don't think that's your problem. Sounds as if you're right that buds and bark froze; 2 years is not really enough time to establish.

Stay away from high nitrogen, especially urea-based fertilizers for this and all maples. They are more likely to kill the tree rather than help it.

I don't see how moving it would help, the only hope is that it buds out next year. Almost certainly too late for this year.

If you can post some photos of the tree, including of the base where it's planted, and fine leafless branches, we might be able to help more.

-E

3. Carriea

Carriea New Member

Thank you so much for replying. Attached are some pics

Attached Files:

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Regarding the name, I just asked Douglas Justice about that. It seems in the US and Canada, where @Carriea lives, 'Princeton Gold' is the cultivar name, and it is not a protected variety. Douglas included the link to the patent: It has a US patent (PP6727). See United States Patent: PP06727
    That was a more interesting document than I was expecting, am glad I had a look.

Douglas figures someone acquired plant breeder's rights (PBR) in Europe.

5. Carriea

Carriea New Member

Thank you for this

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Interesting Wendy, that appears to be so. Further in the World Checklist the cultivar is listed as 'Princeton Gold', anyway I'm glad to know it. I got the orig info from Ron B in this thread: Maple ID. Looking forward to Doug visiting the Symposium and tour, can you make it? Would love to meet as well as to show you the garden here.

Regarding the photos, I see signs of freezing or sun burn damage (or both) all along the bark on the main trunk. This looks like ridges or vertical marks where the bark is peeling up. Further, I don't see any sign of flaring at the base, which might indicate that the tree was planted too deeply. It is very important to plant at the root flare and no higher. The combination of too-deep planting followed by environmental damage could well explain the tree's problems.

I can't tell whether it will make it, but the vigorous growth indicates that the roots are still alive. Through there will be a lot of root die-back, since there is not much nutrition getting down to them. I don't think moving the tree right now is to be recommended generally, but if it's planted way too deep a replant at the proper depth is the only hope. Try and dig down with a finger and find the root flare, if it's a few inches underground, it'll be doomed if you leave it there.

Good luck!

-E

7. Carriea

Carriea New Member

Thank you. It was definitely planted too deeply. I've uncovered it to about an 18" circumference