Preparing liquid fertilizer and storing it?

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Laticauda, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Is it possible to prepare, say, a gallon of water with a few drops of the liquid fertilizer (whatever the brand you are using, half of the recommended dosage) and leave it in a plastic gallon jug? I never use enough for what is directed on some of my fertilizer bottles, and was wondering if it would be ok to leave it already mixed and use it as I need it.

Thanks,
    Raychel

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Depends on how long it will stay in plastic? The effective nutrients may diminish, however if it is for less than two weeks, then why not? Just be sure to give it a good stir before use... and keep the container from out of direct sun.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i've always kept prepared fertilizer solution stored in a plastic jug...and use the container up within 4 to 6 weeks.

5. lala8

lala8 Member

Is that true for liquid fish fertilizer as well? Also, I read that compost tea must be used when it is ready and not after?

6. ewbc

ewbc Member

I've been worm composting for awhile now and have started to experiment with worm compost teas. How long can I store aerated worm compost tea, if I do not use all that I have prepared. I'm worried that by aerating and then storing in plastic jugs, this may have negative effects. Any ideas?