Posting the same photo in multiple threads?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by maf, Nov 4, 2009.

1. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Is it possible to post the same picture in multiple threads without uploading it multiple times? For example, if I wanted to post a picture in the Japanese maples autumn colour thread and also in the photo gallery for that cultivar. (I know how to make a link to the original picture location, but not how to make the thumbnail appear in the thread.)

This would save server space at UBC as well as upload bandwidth and annoyance factor at this end.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, there is a way...

But it is annoying, I think (or sounds like it):

How to Insert an Image from an Album into a Thread.

This may be a much easier process in a more recent version of the forums software, not sure. I'll be updating sometime in the next month (Nov. 30?), we can check it then.

3. maf

I can't seem to get that to work either. I think I'll give up on the idea for now, maybe try again when the new forum software is up and running.

4. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Why would one need to do that? I thought it might sort of clog things with repeats if I did that with mine but my pics are of no real importance to anyone.

Just wondering what I'm missing.

As an old timer I find it great brain exercise to remember where I have posted what so that I might invite someone to view it in another thread. But then I'm on dial-up and posting pics takes time.

Thks

D

5. maf

I was thinking in particular of the Maple Photo Gallery which is a great reference resource for viewing photographs of the various cultivars. If one was to post a picture in a more general thread that will soon be forgotten, it would be handy if there was a quick way to duplicate it in the relevant Gallery thread without having to upload it again (particularly for users on dial-up).

I know what you mean about repeats but in this case it seems like it would be a useful function.

6. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Dana, off topic , but if you click on your name, then click on your posts it may be easier.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Even easier -> righthand sidebar on the forums -> Find Your Posts (right below Attaching Images)

8. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Whoops, I had the right hand sidebar shut off.

9. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I didn't know it was on the sidebar either. Thanks, Daniel. I've always used Forum Links, which of course has been fine.

10. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Well, well. Learn something new all the time. My sidebar is always there, to pop over to BPOD.Thanks Daniel!