Possible spider mite?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Username1, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Username1

Username1 New Member

hello all,

I bought a spider plant from lowe's recently and ever since then i have been seeing small silk webs. I saw a minuscule spider mite or spider waiting in his web. I posted a picture of it and would like the opinion of others here as to whether or not it is a mite or spider. I'm afraid that they will infest my house, find their way to my bed, carpet, furniture, hair, and wreak havoc like a scabies infestation I once had from trying on a blouse in a clothing store. I'm so paranoid that inspreadnvaseline around the rims of the pot and have been watering my plant with a bunch of essential oils (cinnamon, eucalyptus, lemon grass, tea tree oil). Does anyone have any input as I'm seriously consider My returning the plant to lowe's even for a credit instead of refund as I don't think I have a receipt. I really want to keep this plant because of the many health benefits (we live in the basement with stagnant air). I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gotten it from Lowe's and just should have bought it from the plant shop in town.

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Those are not spider mites, which would usually be red and about the size of a grain of salt.

I don't know what kind of spiders those are (some sort of house spider?), but they are not interested in capturing you in their webs. I wouldn't have thought it possible to keep a dwelling spider-free, but you can take a wet cloth and wash off the leaves.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Spider mites do not have segmented bodies.

4. Username1

Username1 New Member

I just find it strange why my plant has yellow discolorations and slits/holes in its leaves. I had to trim a couple. I have head that spider mites can be black so that is why i was confused.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

If it's just the outer leaves, I wouldn't worry. Leaves don't live forever. The plant looks static, but old leaves die and new ones fill in. It generally looks pretty good, with the spots being on the oldest leaves.