Beeches: Possible New Beech Cultivar?

Discussion in 'Fagaceae (beeches, oaks, etc.)' started by PHN, Aug 5, 2006.

1. PHN

PHN Member

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with a Fagus Sylvatica question. I currently have 9 cultivars on my property, in Holliston, MA, including a 45' Asplenifolia, a 45' Roseomarginata, a 50' Copper, plus smaller American, Daywick Purple, Purple Rivers, Tortuosa, Purpurea Pendula, and Purple Rohani trees. Since adding these smaller trees after purchasing the property 8 years ago, I have noticed the attached seedlings photos growing around the property. I assume that the Asplenifolia may be crossing with the Tortuosa, given the leaf shapes and how they seem to want to grow wide and split the central leader very early -- 6". Does anyone have the expertise to determine what these may be? If so, is this something new, or a common crossing? Many thanks in advance, Paul

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Chestnut (Castanea).

3. City Parrots

City Parrots New Member

Any other interesting seedlings? I am looking for a purple Asplenifolia.

4. ScottWales

ScottWales Member

Even accounting for disproportionally large leaves in seedlings, and general beech leaf polymorphism those leaves look huge. Given the amount of unusual genes swimming about in the trees on your property, and that they're fertile sports, rather than sterile hybrids, there's every chance you have something novel there. Lucky you.

I guess monitor it and see what other interesting features it displays as it gets older.

Good luck.

5. ScottWales

ScottWales Member

There's a nursery here in the UK that stock some very unusual beech

http://www.bluebellnursery.com/catalogue/trees/Fagus

I bought a beautiful Katsura from the guy there at a flower show a few years ago.