Possible jade plant?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by jreidsma, Oct 20, 2009.

1. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I bought this succelent at Kmart for a dollar and it has more than doubled its size in the 1-2 months that I have had it. I was just wondering if it was indeed a jade plant.
    Thank you

(my camera isnt the best and the pictures may be blurry)

My camera also I guess wont show the right shade of color my freind told me it was a dull or dark green color.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2009
  2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

there are many types of crassula and a lot of them are called 'jade plants'. although the pics are a bit fuzzy, i'd say this is one of them.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Whatever you're doing, keep doing it! Your plant is obviously happy!
    So tell us---what are you doing? Where is your plant located, light, moisture, etc. ????

4. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Well it is in the window wich I think is north. I have it in regular mericle grow potting mix. I water it about one time every 1-2 weeks. It dries out in between every watering. It really dosint get as much sun as some other plants that I have, It gets full every day of part sun to shade. I just was treeting it like any other succulent that I have.

5. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Do any of you know how tall it might get at maturity? I was thinking about it being a plant for my house when I am older. Also how long will it take to get big I'm 13 years old and dont want to have a big tree until I'm older and have enough room for it to grow. I might try giving it full sun for a day or two next summer, it would die outside now because at top it might get around 50-60 degrees F. outside.

6. joclyn

most crassula's can handle being in full sun - all year round; not just in the summer. if you've got it in a northern window (not very bright light) then you'll need to ease it into brighter light conditions a bit gradually.

they go a bit dormant in winter, so, you probably won't see too much more growth for a few months. once spring starts it'll start growing full-force again. they're not the fastest growers, so, you don't need to worry about it becoming too large before you're ready for it :)

should be a good 10 years before it'll be big enough to be any kind of issue.

when you can, please post clearer pics...i'm not quite sure it's a jade - the pics are too fuzzy.

7. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I might be able to get better pictures but thats the only camera I have right now. The main stalk of the plant is brighter than the rest of the plant. The leaves are bright like the stem but get darker towards the tip of them. Its been growing a new leaf about every 1-2 weeks. I will try to get pictures of it that arent fuzzy.

8. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Can you post videos insted of pictures on the forums?

9. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

When I get an opportunity to update the forum software -- which should be sooner, rather than later -- this ability will be available.

10. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I think I got my camera to focus on the plant now but it still isnt perfect. The third picture was of a new leaf that it has made since yesterday. It was in between the two bigger leaves.

Attached Files:

11. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I am also questioning if it's a jade or not because some of the leaves seem to have a point, jades are more rounded, darker green in color.

12. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I just recently found another plant that looks alot like this plant. It wasnt a jade but some type of flowering succulent. It just had a couple stems comeing off of the main stem but these stems had flowers on them and no leaves.

13. joclyn

ahh, much better on the pics this time, thanks!!

no, not a jade (crassula). some type of graptopetalum or possibly a cross between graptopetalum/crassula or grapto and something else (quite a few things can cross). could even be some type of echevaria cross (with crassula or grapto).

anyhoo, this will need very bright light to grow properly. most of the grapto and echeveria have a 'rosette' formation - that is, they look like roses with very wide-open petals. so, what i'm saying is that this is etoliated - growth is elongated due to improper lighting.

do you have a sunny southern or western window you can place it in front of?

14. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Well the way my house is made there is only one east window. It is full of other plants though, but I could move my mini rose because its almost dead. I could put it there. My mini rose has sometype of desease because it will come back alive then die again over and over no matter what I do. After I get back home I will look up the names you said. I spent an hour yesterday looking at crassula pages and pictures.

15. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

When Its warm enough outside again I could put it on my patio

16. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I just looked up the things that you said it might be but had no luck finding anything. After it makes flowers I should be able to find it easier though.

17. Bluewing

Maybe some type of Pachyphytum.

18. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I dont know for sure but out of all the pictures I have looked at it looks like.
    1. Pachyphytum fittkaui
    2.Pachyphytum longifolium

I searched on www.desert-tropicals.com

19. Bluewing

20. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

One of its leaves are almost completely round now. I looked over the pictures again and I think that out of the two I thought it was Pachyphytum fittkaui looks like it the most. Pachyphytum longifolium has different leaves its are more pointed and arent as fleshy looking. While Pachyphytum fittkaui leaves look exactly like my plant. Here is the site that has the pictures I was looking at.

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Crassulaceae/Pachyphytum_fittkaui.html

Here is a list of Pachyphytum plants

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Crassulaceae/Pachyphytum.html

21. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I am trying to give it more light and the leaves are growing closer together but the sun light is getting harder to supply in Michigan. It has grown another inch since my last post.

22. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Ya I am preaty sure it is a Pachyphytum fittkaui. I got it to grow leaves closer together but winter wrecked that. It still is growing really fast

23. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Yes, not a Jade or Crassula argentea, but know this, this one needs bright light or go home! LOL! This plant needs bright unfiltered light to grow symmetrically in a natural compact healthy state. Very much a succulent.... name to be announced...

24. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Im going to give it as much light as posible now but it wont get alot until spring and summer because there isnt that much light around here now. It is right under a light so it should be getting more light now.

Attached Files:

• fitt.jpg
      fitt.jpg
      File size:
      66.6 KB
      Views:
  25. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I believe it is Sedum pachyclados. It needs very bright light, otherwise it will grow very thin and leggy as in your picture. Artificial light will exacerbate any positive results.