ponytail plant

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by pathgreer40, Apr 29, 2007.

1. pathgreer40

pathgreer40 Member

I have just bought a new ponytail plant. It is quite large and altogether there are 4 individual plants in this one 5 gal. pot. They do look like they are connected..but could be separated easily. Can I do that without damaging any of them? A couple of months ago I bought a nice size..but small one..and overwatered it...you know what happened! So I don't want to mess this one up...it is so pretty. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Re: pathgreer40

Do the offsets/suckers have roots yet? If so, then you can take a sharp knife and separate them from the parent plant any time this Spring. Dust a little rooting hormone on the roots, place in a sandy mix, and after a week or so, water thoroughly. Then only water when the soil has dried completely.

3. pathgreer40

pathgreer40 Member

Thank you so much for your information. I believe they do have roots. Will make sure before I try and separate them. I bought the plant at Home Depot in their outside plant section. Will it be okay for me to slowly get them use to our warm climate? We are still having cool nights...50's and do know they can take a little cooler weather but thought I might have to ease them in to the hot day weather.

Do you raise ponytail plants?

Thanks,
    Pat[/COLOR]

4. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Once the overnight temperatures are consistently above 50*F, then they will transition nicely to an outdoor location. As far as warm temperatures, they love hot weather. They are native to the Central American deserts. Having said that, the biggest mistake you can make right now is to simply place it in a full sun location outdoors...you will have to give it time to adapt to the intensity of outdoor light. General guidelines might be 2-3 weeks in a shady location, 2-3 weeks of partial sun, then full sun location. All the while, watch the plant closely. If it looks like the foliage is getting a little pale and dry, it is getting sun burned, and just needs a little more time in a lower light location. Once it's burned, it's burned. No fixing that other than removing the effected foliage. So, just take your time with it.

This is "Cousin It" (1960's TV series The Addam's Family). I've raised it from a thumbnail sized seedling in a little 1 inch pot. Indoors during the Winter and outdoors in the late Spring to mid-Fall here in Michigan.

Attached Files:

5. pathgreer40

pathgreer40 Member

Thanks again...I have brought my new plant back inside. I live in an apartment and get the afternoon sun. Will take your advice. You have been a great help.

Pat