Ponytail/Elephant Foot Palm

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Rainy Lake Woman, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Rainy Lake Woman

Rainy Lake Woman New Member

Hi, I've had 2 Ponytail/Elephant Palms for about 3 years. They are kept indoors in clay pots, with indirect, mostly eastern, light. The bases have the "onion" look to them while the leaves have grown very long -- 2 to 3 times the height of the pot. Is this normal? I keep expecting the base to grow a "neck" like I see in photos. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

That should be normal. The neck comes from the area where the old leaves have dropped off and it sounds like yours are youngsters. There are a few photos in this thread:
    Ponytail palm questions and info

You're welcome to post some photos so we can see what yours looks like.

3. Rainy Lake Woman

Thank you for your reply! Here is a photo. I tried to post one with my initial query but it didn't show up for some reason. Will try again :)

Attached Files:

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

That's what mine looks like, which a neighbour gave me within the last year. Yours doesn't even seem to have brown leaf tips. I think it looks great.

5. Rainy Lake Woman

Ok, sounds like maybe I am worrying about nothing, lol. I do have a few brown tipped leaves, but it's not too bad and only started recently. I appreciate the reassurance -- thank you!