Please help identify this tree

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by AgriJoe, Aug 13, 2017.

1. AgriJoe

AgriJoe New Member

Tree is about 35ft (11 meters) tall.
    Leaves shown in close up images are about 3.5 inches (9 cm) long.
    Photos taken in April in Dallas, Texas.
    If it ever produces flowers they are very small (possibly white flowers?). I'm sorry I can't remember.
    Thank you to all and any that help!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

What do you think of Ulmus crassifolia in comparison?

3. AgriJoe

AgriJoe New Member

Thanks very much! I didn't even know it's an elm because I don't know a lot about plants. I'm almost certain it's an elm anyway.

I'm not sure if it's ever going to help to know the more specific identification of it (more specific than elm) for future care of the tree. I got curious tho. I did wikipedia and search engine image searches on these: Ulmus crassifolia, Ulmus serotina, Ulmus americana. The images for Ulmus serotina have bark that looks a lot like mine.

I think a lot of tree care is the same for any tree. I mostly use the Texas A&M extension info for maintenance and care.

Hmm the cedar elm Ulmus crassifolia wikipedia article informs on potential problems with mistletoe, and I did see a bit of that on the tree last winter. I'd better get on planning to resolve that. Thanks very much!