Please help identify this plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by pdb001, Mar 25, 2005.

1. pdb001

pdb001 Member

I would be grateful if someone could identify these "bushes" for me. I have posted some pictures here:
    http://pdb001.dyndns.org:8085/gallery/gdnindex.html

What you see here is actually 3 plants trained across to form a continuous "hedge". It is deciduous, forming buds around Christmas / New Year, then producing leaves and lots of clusters of small pink flowers in early spring. This is how it looked at the end of March 2005. The flowers normally die off some time around May but the foliage will persist until autumn. The location is S.Wales, UK.

I planted these c. 1996 to help hide a concrete wall at the bottom of the garden. The lady who kindly donated the plants told me it is a Canadian Blackcurrant (or was that Blackberry?) however a trawl of the web has failed to find any corroborating evidence, in fact what little evidence I have seen actually contradicts this theory.

Thanks very much

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello pdb001, your plant looks like Ribes sanguineum, red flowering currant. This is a native of western N. America. I don't know which variety you have, but you will find a lot of info if you search for Ribes sanguineum.

There is a white cultivar that is UBC Plant Introduction; see this thread. Out of curiosity, does your hedge set fruit?

3. pdb001

pdb001 Member

Hello Eric, thanks for your response. I have done a quick search on Ribes sanguineum and I think we may have a winner. I haven't seen any fruit on it so far though, just lots of flowers.
    Pete

4. pdb001

pdb001 Member

Eric,
    thanks again for your response, I still haven't managed to identify the variety though. I was leaning towards glutinosa for a while, but now I don't think so.
    Grateful for any ideas.
    Thanks very much
    Pete