please help identify this flower/cactus

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Alkevar, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Alkevar

Alkevar Member

Hello,

I hope this is alright. I am trying to identify a flower. I have tried to upload a photo of the flower in question. It is from a plant my mother has had for atleast the last 20 years. It has no flowers now, but when it does flower it is absolutely breathtaking. When it comes into bloom, the flowers are about the size of a teacup and the cactus is covered in them about 20 to 30 at a time.
    Can you please help identify this plant. I think it is a cactus but I have no idea what kind. Currently, it is covered with red/burgundy colored bulbs or maybe they are the fruit that I have been told some cactus make. I am not sure. We want to split this plant and do not want to kill it in the process so please help if you can. Thank-you.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

An Epiphyllum cultivar. A South American epiphytic (growing perched on tree branches) rainforest cactus.

Very easy to take cuttings - cut a piece off, let the cut dry for a couple of days to callus over (so as to avoid rot), and plant it in a new pot. That's all you need do.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Nopalxochia ackermannii.

4. Alkevar

Alkevar Member

Thank you for your help. Which one is it??? Nopalxochia ackermannii, or an Epiphyllum cultivar or are they the same plant just different names?
    Does it matter in respect to how it is treated when taking cuttings?
    Please excuse my ignorance but I am not sure where to take the cuttings. Does it matter? Is a long cutting recommended or should I take short ones. Won't I shock the plant by cutting it up. I really don't want to kill it. As I mentioned it is my mothers and she would skin me alive if I killed her cactus. Is there a place I can look for detailed information on how to do this with the least amount of trama to the plant.
    Thank you, Alkevar

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looked this up - the genus Epiphyllum has been split up. Nopalxochia ackermannii was formerly known as Epiphyllum ackermannii. Seems though that the currently accepted name is Disocactus ackermannii. I have no reason to doubt Ron's determination of it as this species, rather than another.

On cuttings - a piece about 10cm long would do fine. Any time of year should be OK, and it won't hurt the parent cactus

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Could be a hybrid--there are many--but [insert genus of choice] ackermannii is fairly commonly grown by non-devotees, as are holiday cacti, and the flowers of yours look just like those of this particular kind.