Please help: identify a clematis

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by mmcottle, Oct 30, 2002.

1. mmcottle

mmcottle Member

I have a clematis that is blooming now and has been blooming for over a month. It seems to be blooming on the new growth. It has tiny white 4 petaled flowers (about 1 cm diam) and the leaves are ovoid to heart shaped, opposite, and vary in size. They do not seem to be compound. The books I have seem to point to a variety called "sweet autumn clematis" but some of the books say that one has compound leaves and flowers an inch in diameter. The Latin names mentioned are C. terniflora or C. maximowicziana or C.dioscoreifolia or C. paniculata. HELP! Any ideas as to which one it might be? AND if so, what group does it fall into (A,B or C) so that I know when (and if!) to prune it. Thanks so much!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2002
  2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Identify a Clematis

Your description sounds like Clematis terniflora -- this goes by many synonyms (dioscoreifolia, flammula, robusta, paniculata, sweet autumn clematis, etc.)
    It blooms on new wood and therefore belongs to group C (3). Prune in February before growth begins to 1 ft. Or, you can prune it in the fall when the leaves are brown to about 3 ft. and then follow up in the spring to about 1 ft.