Please help ID this shrub

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by jfberdog, Aug 22, 2016.

1. jfberdog

jfberdog Member

We were sold this shrub as a High bush cranberry but it has not had any flowers or fruit and does not seem to be growing very quickly. It is young but when I compare the leaves to HBC on the internet they look more maple-like than the HBC ones. There is also no red on the stems. Please help.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's a Viburnum, either a semi-dwarf cultivar of Guelder-rose Viburnum opulus, or a close relative.

Definitely not a Cranberry!

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Keep in mind that @Michael F is not a fan of common names. High bush cranberry is Viburnum trilobum. True, though - you won't get cranberries from it.

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Not true cranberries, but healthy fruit that looks and taste like cranberries, anyway.

5. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

I should clarify that my comment above applies only if the plant in question is a Viburnum trilobum (common names: American Cranberry Viburnum or High Bush Cranberry).

If it is, as Michael F. suggests, Viburnum opulus (common name: European Cranberry Viburnum) the berries, according to Wikipedia, can be mildly toxic and "may cause vomiting or diarrhea if eaten in large amounts".

There is a good description of Viburnum trilobum (HBC) on this website: Viburnum trilobum | Landscape Plants | Oregon State University with a very good comparison between leaf shapes, leaf undersides, leafy branches and leaf petioles of both species.
    Based on this website I am with Michal F. that the plant on the pictures attached in this thread is a Viburnum opulus, not a Viburnum trilobum (HBC).

6. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

That shrub is very dwarf, dense and bushy. Quite unlike the normal growth habit for V. opulus.
    Just wondering it it might be Viburnum opulus nanum?

viburnum opulus nanum - Google Search

Quote Thompson and Morgan site..."If you're looking for a Viburnum which isn't invasive and doesn't produce such a vast amount of flowers and berries as other varieties, you're in the right place. Viburnum opulus 'Nanum' is an attractive deciduous shrub that develops a pleasing round, mounded habit when mature. This particular shrub is popular with gardeners who don't have a vast amount of space and are looking for a plant with a variety of colours throughout the year. Small green maple-like leaves turn yellow, red and deep purple in autumn."

To me the whole point of V.opulus is the attractive flowers followed by gorgeous berries.

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Actually, I am a fan of common names, but they should (1) be botanically accurate, and (2) should [subject to (1)] respect native usage, i.e., not try to change other peoples' names for their native plants. Viburnums are not Cranberries; and "European Cranberry Viburnum" is not the correct common name for Viburnum opulus, as it is not the name selected by those for whom it is native. It is actually decidedly offensive to imply that a people are not competent to name their own native plants, and have to have them renamed for them by outsiders.

Yep, that's what I was thinking too, though without knowing of that particular named cultivar.

Agree on your last point about the flowers and fruit!

8. jfberdog

jfberdog Member

Thank you all very much. We really wanted a higher bush as a screen to the neighbour so will have to plant this one somewhere else. You have all been a great help.