Plants Conservation resources discussion

Links related to invasive plants, habitat loss, climate change, and conservation topics

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

wcutler submitted a new resource:

Plants: Conservation Resource Links

Links related to invasive plants, habitat loss, climate change, and conservation topics
    Actually, there is just one link right now. There's lots of material around. We could use some suggestions in this thread.

Discuss resources on the list, and submit suggestions for ones to be added to the list.

Read this resource ...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  2. wcutler

Deborah Jones, my streamkeeper friend, has sent along some links, which I will add to the resource page.

National Tree Benefit Calculator
    National Tree Benefit Calculator

Select Map (instead of postal code), then Pacific Northwest.
    Deborah writes:
    Puzzled why our massive incense cedar is worth only $26 per year, whereas red cedar, deodar cedar, Doug fir of similar size are around $224 per year. Obviously this tool is still a work in progress.
    Go to I-Tree for the full monty. Learn about i-Tree | i-Tree

A couple of articles:
    Deborah writes:
    IMO, the overriding issues are human over-population and Industrial agriculture (whether soybeans or cattle) -- not the mere fact of eating animal products in moderation (more moderation than at present though, that's for sure).​
    Both these articles are written with a focus on environmental impact, not ethical issues, and they are very clear about that.

If you want to discuss these environmental issues rather than the resources themselves, I would suggest doing so in a separate thread about the issue you want to discuss. Thanks.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@wcutler good morning Wendy, I have just read an article and posted it on another thread concerning tree planting and offsetting carbon footprint. I have attached it here.
    https://phys.org/news/2020-07-tree-boost-ecosystem-carbon-stocks.html#nRlv
    It was interesting to read that the study goes against what we thought was right.

I am totally in agreement with Deborah regarding over population. It is not a topic politician's want to discuss it seems. A hot potato so to speak.

4. wcutler

The Cougar Creek Streamkeepers just sent me this link.

Enjoy a wealth of biodiversity-friendly gardening information In Metro Vancouver's Grow Green Guide. Grow Green Guide Home
    I've added it to the Resource page.