Planting after hoya propagating

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by SaraBerg, Jul 19, 2017.

1. SaraBerg

SaraBerg New Member

Hi everyone. I am new here

I have always admired Hoyas and finally got some cuttings from one! They were propagated in water and already have roots. I have some potting mix, peat moss, and perlite to use for the pot. I have been searching everywhere online for advice on how to plant hoya stems that have been propagated in water into their pot.. I can't seem to find any advice. I will include a picture.. the stems are quite long. How big of a pot should I be using? And how do I place them? Any advice would be helpful as I am just new to this. Thank you!
    Screenshot_20170718-104506.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2017
  2. SaraBerg

SaraBerg New Member

I was also given this hoya in its soil without the pot.. can I put them together?
    Screenshot_20170718-104512.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2017
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

As a moderator, I was able to move your first photo to your first posting. Let me know if that's not what you meant.

The second group, in the pot, look fine for now. Since they can get quite big after a while, I would not add more to the second group.

I usually do shorter cuttings, not sure what I would do with the ones in water since you don't want them in a very large pot right away. My understanding is that water roots are not the same as soil roots, so I wouldn't worry about them too much. Any video you can find on how to plant cuttings will be fine - it wouldn't be different because there are the water roots. You might have to trim the bottom of the cuttings so that the roots will be down at soil level and are covered. Find a pot around the size of the potted one, make sure there is a hole at the bottom of the pot, maybe put a bit of paper over the hole. Mix up your potting stuff and pour some loosely into the pot, place the cuttings in, more toward the centre than the edge, then pack in the soil so the cuttings are firmly supported.

As these grow, you will have to repot them several times, but don't start too large. The plants are heavy and tipping is an issue. You will either need pots wider than tall, or put them in heavy pots, or put the pots into a heavy jardiniere (outer pot), but then you need to be sure that water is not pooling at the bottom of the outside pot.

4. SaraBerg

SaraBerg New Member

Thank you! That is what I meant to do.

This is very helpful advice! I think I will trim them as the stems with the roots are very long. A ceramic pot would be better since they are heavier? Is my combination of potting soil, peat moss, and perlite good?

5. wcutler

That mix sounds normal, but I see that you can query "hoya potting mix" and get lots of info, including a video.
    I think a ceramic pot would be better. If it's new, you're supposed to soak it for an hour (? - I can't remember how long).

6. SaraBerg

SaraBerg New Member

Hi again! So I went to my local store that sells pots and they only had big pots in Stock. I ended up finding a small plastic pot with drainage holes so I planted the hoya stems in it and then used this galvanized container to place the pot in. I used a mix of potting soil, perlite, some orchad bark, and peat moss. I hope it thrives. I do have a question though. I noticed this little cluster on one of the stems. What is it? Thanks

Attached Files:

7. wcutler

There used to be a flower cluster there. New flowers grow on top of those things left behind by old flowers, and they get a bit longer each time. I don't know if that will be a difficult spot for new leaves to grow. You'll eventually find out.