Planted Kumquats, got them, now what?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Michael Asgian, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Michael Asgian

Michael Asgian Member

I have planted some seeds in 8 jars and some soil I had. One month later, in 7 of the jars I have small plants. Some jars have up to 4 plants... I got total of 12 little ones....

The whole time were inside and I have watered them every day with a teaspoon. They range from 1 inch to 3 inch tall, each has two leaves and they grow...

Now what? Obviously I cant leave them in those small jars for to long.

Should I put them in a small pot individually? a large wide pot all of them? keep them inside/outside? Maybe directly into the ground in the back yard? I'm in Southern California and it gets about 70-80 during the day and around 30-40 in the night...

Total newbie as you can imagine... any tips and advices are welcome

Thanks

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you planted Kumquat seeds, that were taken from fruit that you purchased at the store, then they are probably the variety of Kumquat called Nagami. If they are Nagami, than the fruit would have been oval in shape instead of round. All that aside, Kumquats (all varieties) are almost never ever grown on their own roots. All Kumquats purchased from any nursery, would be grafted upon a trifoliate orange root stock. Kumquats grown from seed on their own roots, do not do all that well (as compared to grafted trees), and generally have a shorter life, and produce a smaller crop. But to get to the questions you asked: you need to put each seedling into its own container. A 4 inch square container is a good size to start with, and then move up from there. In Southern California, you could also plant them directly into the ground in a sunny location. What ever you decide to do, it is wise to only water the seedling in the morning, so that the sun's rays can quickly dry the soil surface. Citrus seedlings are very susceptible to three fungi, Phytophthora, Rhizoctonia and Pythium. Seedlings that become infected are killed rapidly when soil surface moisture is abundant, and warm temperatures are favorable for fungal growth. Citrus seedlings usually become resistant once the true leaves have emerged and the stem tissue has lignified. Further, natures method of provide a strong trunk is by flicking the seedling tree back and forth by the wind. Therefore, a young citrus tree should be placed in the path of a fan, or planted outside when the tree reaches the hight of 2-3 inches, otherwise, the tree will develop a weak trunk that will need to be supported. If planted out side you can fertilize the tree 6 times between 1st of March until the end of August. As it is now the middle of June, you will have 3 fertilizing schedules left if planted out doors. If grown in a container, fertilize the tree a minimum of once a month, every two weeks would be better. Good luck to these trees. - Millet (1,307-)

Complete totally unrestricted freedom of speech is essential.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009