Plant with snall white flowers

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by Nadia White Rock, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

We found today this not small bush with sharp leaves and tiny white flowers in Alpine garden, South America section near the plant with the label 'Myrceugenia ovata var. nannophylla Chile,Argentina' . Looks like Erica family

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The familiar shrub with this appearance is Gaultheria mucronata.

3. Nadia White Rock

Thank you.I agree that it looks very the same. I have lots of pictures of Gaultheria mucronata. There is always lots of fruits or flowers, this is not small plant but no fruits and just a few single flowers which are a lit bit more round than on the other Gaultheria mucronata. We probably have to go again and look close.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Fruit production and flower structure varies between individuals of G. mucronata to the extent that some clones are sold as "male", with it being recommended that several clones (including at least one "male") are included in a planting in order to assure a good fruit set.

5. Nadia White Rock

Thank you. I agree with Gaultheria mucronata.It was second time/year that I was caught with that particular plant.