Identification: Plant ID?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Michael, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Sorry, no pic, but I think I can describe it.

Broad leaf, oval shaped with a slight pointed tip, about 6" long and 4" wide, medium green, one center vein with subtle textured veins running from center to outer edge in a roundish V shape, non-serrated edges. When new, each leaf has ~14 symetrical squarish "brush strokes" of burgandy, 7 on each side of center, from end to end. Over the course of about 3 weeks, the burgandy fades to a dark green.

Each leaf is on a fleshy stalk which splits open to reveal each new leaf. When a new leaf appears, it extends from the previous stalk and unfurls fully developed, creating it's own stalk.

When it flowers, it produces a very thin stalk which extends about a foot in the air, having two long slender blisters along its length, which split open and produce 2-3 small white trumpet shaped blossoms about a half inch long.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

It would be extremely helpful to have some context if we are to identify your plant. Where do you live? Is this a garden plant? How long has it been where you are viewing it?

3. I'm sorry, I completely overlooked the context. Zone 6.
    This is a houseplant, I picked up at a yard sale. I've had it for several months. It's thriving under 24-7 fluorescent lighting.

Amusingly enough, I looked through one of my A-Z guides, and found only one picture of it, in the troubleshooting section in the back, as an example of too dry an environment. Alas, no name of the plant.

4. hungry hippo

hungry hippo Active Member 10 Years

is this it?

Hard to tell from a written description (albeit a very good one!), but one houseplant that springs to mind (mine anyway) when described as having "brushstrokes" of burgundy and leaves emerging from the petioles of existing leaves is Maranta leuconeura. Just a guess.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2004
  5. Yes!!
    That is it!
    Thank you so much!

Mike