Plant Fig Tree in Toronto

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Gardenlover, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Gardenlover

Gardenlover Active Member

I bought an italian fig tree (bogiola)...it's about 2 feet tall.
    The guy at the store said you can plant it outside and have success with it year after year bearing fruit and it will survive if it is covered and also burried.
    What steps do I have to take to keep it alive?
    I am zone 6

2. Weedbender

Weedbender Active Member 10 Years

I would keep it potted for the first 3 years to let it harden off. Store in an attached garage or cellar in winter to keep it from freezing. After the third winter you can try planting it outside but it may still need some winter protection in zone 6.

3. nelson20vt

nelson20vt Member

Potted plants are brought indoors and kept in a cool place like cellar or garage. In ground plants they either bend the tree downwards and bury the top half and cover the rest with leaves and then tarp on top. My dads old neighbour had a pretty big fig tree he would cover it with a plexy glass box he built and then filled it with insulation. I lived there for 5 years and the tree never died so I guess that works.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  4. aristotle

aristotle New Member

If you have a garage, just keep it in there for the winter. Don't let it dry out completely but don't overwater. No special steps need be taken that way, the other way is a real pain. This also avoids mealy bug and spider mites which occur in the house. Just remember to pot up when needed. Aristotle