Plant and medium suggestions for rooftop garden

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by PHR, Aug 15, 2018.

1. PHR

PHR New Member

We are creating a new rooftop garden on top of a 3 storey apartment block in the Vancouver area in an exposed site. Any suggestions for small trees/shrubs/perennials likely to be successful in these conditions would be helpful. Maybe including herbs, other edibles and small fruit trees/bushes? Also any information on types of medium used for rooftop planters or any other info/resource links would be great.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

There are lists out there that can be found, but I really suggest going to look at established rooftop gardens and seeing what has succeeded after a few years (e.g., try to get into looking at the Vancouver Public Library's rooftop garden once that opens to the public soon or see this one in Richmond: City of Richmond BC - Cultural Centre Rooftop Garden )

There are a few references at the end of this paper that might be useful: https://lifecyclesproject.ca/app/uploads/2015/06/Rooftop_Gardening_Hobbs.pdf

PHR and wcutler like this.
  3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    plus - I'd start by making sure the building is engineered for the weight of a rooftop garden
    and the watering thereof (what if someone leaves a hose on or an automatic irrigation system leaks or breaks)

do you have to get any city permits for this project? (I don't know)

will you be able to water during the summer (restrictions during droughts like this now)

---------------

as far as plants -
    yes good idea to view other roof gardens
    there used to be a herb garden at the Hotel Vanc near the pool. Also - I think the other Fairmont downtown (Waterfront) had outdoor plants on a terrace.

what about the older condo buildings around False Creek - visible off the Burrard and other bridges?

the UBC campus buildings?

what do you observe as you go around town and look at the various container plants / trees?

how windy is it up on the roof?

is this concept purely decorative or farming light?

is this for the enjoyment of people - ie sitting area or fountain (weight) etc. What age and accessibility are the people?

how will you clean up the garden or the fallen leaves / needles etc? (people living below might not like autumn leaves falling on their decks etc)

how will you get your plants UP to the roof in the first place? (assuming your budget is less than, say, the university or the city coffers)

I default to a few tried and true native plants that work for me in planters and in the garden - near the ocean, wind, cold, ice when the deep freeze whistles down the inlet - etc (oh and drought right now) - always Acer circinatum // always sword fern // always Cornus - the red twig Arctic Fire // Oregon grape // salal //

for decorative and scented that come back year after year with minimal care and messy dropped leaves etc -- various clematis, various lilies, magellan fuschia (hummers love that flower) etc.

EDIT - I forgot my favorite Hostas, too. They need more shade than sun but look great massed and are easy to grow and tolerate our drought summer (if in the shade)

also - the Arctic Fire cornus has a great red twig that looks nice in winter.
    the Acer (vine maple) looses its leaves in winter but has nice compact structure and is easy to trim up without power tools - PLUS you can thread warm white LED lights thru the trees to make it festive inviting.

it will be interesting to learn more of your project.

PHR and Daniel Mosquin like this.
  4. PHR

PHR New Member

Thanks for all your help. I'll check out the paper referenced above and have a look at the gardens suggested. A lot to think about.

5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    it sounds like a nice project -
    I think I'd start at city hall (assuming you're in Vancouver BC) - or whatever local gov't building department that applies to your address and building.

establish that connection - my experience is that the people are very helpful and guide the applicant thru the process

they may need engineering stamp (what doesn't these days) - however - that's another step in the journey

and - if this is a strata building - then obviously that needs to be considered in this process.

I certainly look fwd to updates - this sounds very interesting.

PHR likes this.